Date:      Sun, 08 Mar 1998 13:50:23 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xcdplayer

Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> OK, maybe this is one for -ports, but I figured I'd toss it out here.
> What device and I supposed to use for xcdplayer??
> I know I got it to work once, but I can't do it now to save my life.
> I tried /dev/[r]wcd0{a|c}, /dev/[r]cd0{a|c}, /dev/[r]scd0{a|c}, and a few
> others.  It's a plain, ordinary IDE (yek, I know) CDROM.  Everything I
> try, I get:
> open: : Device not configured
> open: : Device not configured
> It's really starting to aggravate me, because I can't see how it can be
> this hard.

	Welcome to unix. :) I don't mean to be glib, but that's just how things
are sometimes. I believe this error means that there is no /dev/wcd0c
file. Double check that and if it doesn't exist, as root do:
cd /dev
/bin/sh MAKEDEV wcd0c

You might also want to 'chmod o+r wcd0c' if you'd prefer not to have to
root yourself to run cd's, and your box is secure.

	All that being said, I'm not familiar with xcdplayer so that may not
actually be your problem. If that doesn't do it for you, try
http://www.freebsd.org/search.html and give -questions a look.

Good luck,

Doug
--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest