Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:00:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, dfr@nlsystems.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mjacob@feral.com
Subject:   Re: Panic in FFS/4.0 as of yesterday - update

:
:On a related note....
:and something PHK has been on about...
:
:the BUF struct.. (yech)
:this is overlayed with two totally separate functions.
:
:one id to keep track of IO states,
:and the other is to track content of the buf and the state of the
:contents. Poul has talked of splitting these tow functions and I tend to
:agree with him..

    I tend to agree.  There are actually three things:

    * logical block translation
    * I/O in progress
    * Contents of the buffer

    But lets fix what we have first before we rip it up.

    The patch I've supplied has one bug in it that came up... While building
    the world one of my 'ranlib's got stuck in 'newbuf' even after plenty of
    buffers were freed up.  I think it's a simple missing wakeup... when
    I spiked the load the ranlib got going again ( too bad, I was trying to
    gdb -k the running system and the gdb command unstuck the ranlib! ).

    I should be able to find this bug fairly quickly and supply a new patch.
    It's the only bug I've found so far.

					-Matt