Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 02:34:40 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stupid file system tricks.

In message <19991019000824.A2650@orion.ac.hmc.edu>, you wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 07:58:56PM -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>>
>> Dumb question #1:
>>
>>    Why can't I mount a single physical (ufs) file system in two different
>>    (logical) places at once?
>
>I don't have a good answer for that.  I believe it would lead to nasty
>consistency problems because files would be represented twice.

Yea.  So?

All disk I/O effectively goes thru the in-core buffer cache, right?

You could mount the thing twice, in two different places, but as long as
the kernel remembered that it was really only one filesystem/partition,
and as long as it kept only one set of buffers for it, I would think that
everything would work just fine.

>> Dumb question #2:
>>
>>    Given that I can't mount a (ufs) filesystem in two different places at
>>    once (perhaps because that would create some problem with synchronizing
>>    any writes to the filesystem and/or some problems with keeping in-core
>>    buffers always synched with what's on disk), why can't I at least mount
>>    a given filesystem *READ ONLY* in two different places at once?

This, at the very least, should be supported, IMHO.

>You might be able to use mount_null(8) to accomplish the desired effect.

Hummm... Yes!  Indeed!  I didn't know about that thing but it is very inter-
esting, and it is just what the doctor ordered in this case.  And contrary
to what the man page for it says, it _does_ seem to work!  Thanks for the
pointer!