Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:52:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apache+php+mod_ssl from ports on boot

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Marc Tardif wrote:
> I'm trying to install apache+php+mod_ssl from the ports, which is all
> from the FreeBSD-CURRENT distribution which I have installed by passive
> ftp today. Everything went fine, though the mod_ssl version included
> seems a bit outdated. The problem is that apache.sh won't start on boot
> nor from the command line.

	Make sure that:
1) apache.sh is executable.  You can test this by su-in to root and trying
to run it from the command line.

2) apache.sh is in the /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory

3) the /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory is in the list of startup
directories.  The easiest way to check this (IMHO) is through
/stand/sysinstall's Customize menus.

> 2. Oddly, it seems there are no httpd.conf-dist files, except in
> /usr/ports/www/apache13-php3/work/apache... shouldn't those files be
> moved during 'make install' to /usr/local/share/apache or
> /usr/local/apache? The later directory doesn't seem to exist, though it
> is mentioned in the apache manpage.

	You need to have httpd.conf, not httpd.conf-dist.  The *-dist
files are examples for you to start with and usually work as is, but
should be customized.  Check the file /var/db/pkg/apache*/+CONTENTS and
see where it put those files.  Then copy the *.conf-dist files to non
*.conf-dist names.  In fact, I think that the more recent versions of the
apache ports use the file /usr/local/etc/apache/apache.conf to take the
place of all three or four of the old *.conf files.

						Good luck,
						Jaime