Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 01:34:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        anarchy@crl.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pre-installation Qs

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>Two simple questions:

>1. If I download FreeBSD over an isdn line, is it hard to create
>duplicates of the walnet creek cds? I'd use Adaptec EasyCd creator dlx
>(win), so would the long filenames and such screw up the cd and make it
>unusable?? How would I go about doing it?

Hm.  I know a lot of folks ask about this, but I don't know what the
current answer is (I think the answer used to be "no, it's not too
easy").

If the machine you wish to install to is connected to the ISDN (either
via LAN or direct serial) you may want to try the net install, which
really works (I've even used it over 28.8K modem).

>2. What filesystem does freebsd use? I don't mean mounting, I mean its
>own. I know Linux uses ext2, but heard BSDs use one thats more
>corruptable.. Also, whats a good size partition for FreeBSD? I was
>thinking between 1g and 1.5gs.

It uses the Berkeley FFS.  The file systems themselves pretty
comprable, although there has been lots of recent ugly flamage about
the policies which Linux and BSD implement by default regarding
metadata synchronization.  I would say that both are fairly similar,
but with different default behaviors, but you can swap between the two
if you are concerned.

Partition size is a matter of taste, mostly having to do with (a) what
you are planning on doing now with FreeBSD and (b) how much room you
can afford to leave for expansion.

1 gig - 1.5 gigs will give you a good, full user installation of
FreeBSD and leave you enough space to put in a medium number of
utilities and a few large appliations and leave you enough space for a
fair amount of data (e.g. office stuff, mail, and the like).

Installing source and building will cut into that space somewhat.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/