Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 19:01:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        Bsdguru@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysKonnect dual gig adapter

> Looking at the description of the sysKonnect dual adapter, its not clear if
> this is a real 2 port nic or that the second port is only a failover port. I
> have 2 questions for anyone who has one:
>
> 1) Can this be used as a 2 port gigabit NIC?

Yes. You will have two interfaces, sk0 and sk1, which represent the two
ports. Each interface operates independently of the other.

> 2) Does this NIC have hardware failover (that is, when power is cut the 2
> ports will be physically tied together. I dont know of any PC plug in that
> does this, but its a neat feature.

No. SysKonnect advertises the cards for use in failover applications
with their Windows (and Linux) drivers. However this is a feature of
their driver software only: it has nothing to do with the hardware.
When I wrote the if_sk driver, I decided that setting it up as a real
dual port NIC was more useful. (If you're really curious, go to
www.syskonnect.com and download their Linux driver source. It has all
of their failover magic in it.)

The SysKonnect cards consist of the SysKonnect GEnesis chip and the
XaQti XMAC II chip. (XaQti no longer exists, it was assimilated by
Vitesse.) The XMAC is a gigabit MAC with a generic bus interface. The
GEnesis provides the PCI interface, DMA support, some packet buffering
and arbitration. Basically, the GEnesis is what lets you connect the
XMAC to a PCI bus. But the GEnesis is designed to support _two_ XMAC
chips: it has two sets of DMA queues and two register windows so
you can twiddle both XMACs at once. That's how the dual link cards
work: there's one GEnesis and two XMACs, and if you have a copper
card, two Broadcom copper gigabit PHYs.

This is a bit different from the usual multiport NIC design where
you have two PCI-based MAC chips and a PCI-PCI bridge. Functionally,
this is the same as having a bunch of single-port PCI NICs in their
own slots. The SysKonnect multiplexes both MACs through a single
PCI slot instead.

-Bill