Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 14:44:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, lila@aloha.net
Subject:   Re: 1.44 M

Almost for sure (99.9%+) you either have bad sectors on your floppy,
or you used windows 95 to _COPY_ the boot floppy image to the floppy,
or you used a text file transfer (Netscape or FTP) to download boot.flp,
or this is a symptom of using a DOS command prompt window under Win95.

There can be NO bad sectors on the floppy.

boot.flp is NOT a dos file, but a disk image.  You use the rawrite.exe
program to put it on your floppy.  (I think there is a new program to
do this in 2.2.1 and later, as well, but it doesn't seem to work 100%,
judging from the problems people seem to have with it).

Always use binary FTP mode to download these files.

At least at one time, a DOS command prompt under Win95 or NT would
not work.  It had to be real DOS, or a boot to DOS, not windows, on
Win95.  I don't know whether these restrictions still hold; I have not
used them in a very long time.  Since FreeBSD 2.0, I've used dd.  8)

Bud Dodson

> Hi, tried to download the boot file to floppy to see if I can use
> freeBSD and to my surprise, it won't fit!  My 1.44 Meg floppies format
> to 1.38.
     ^^^^
This looks highly suspect.

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790