Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:24:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      matt <matt@MLINK.NET>
To:        FreeBSD-STABLE <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Strange Problem.

Hello,
	Today, a user ran into a strange problem.. I can't say that it's
even a FreeBSD or Stable problem other then the problem never existed
before... So let me try to explain this in a way that makes some human
sense.....

	A customer contacted me after not being able to login via FTP.. He
was not even getting a login prompt, and was getting 'Operation Timed Out'.
While on the phone with this user, I asked him to attempt to connect to
telnet -- which failed with the same before, as did the web page. However
the user was able to connect to SMTP, DNS, identd, pop3. Curious now, I
decided to test this from some remote machines. From 3 of the machines I
tested, everything worked normally. However, from one, I had the exact
same problem as this user.

	I had some other people test this out, the majority were able to
connect fine, while a minority were not. After having them run traceroutes,
they do have a route to this machine without any problems. Also, there are
no firewall rules on the box that even goes near denying anything on those
ports, or denying the ips of these machines that did not work. The kernel
is set to default to accept with IP_FIREWALL. The only thing done to this
machine in the last week (time from which user last connected fine) was
the upgrade to 3.3-STABLE from 3.2-STABLE.. I am at a loss, is there
anyone out there with an idea of what could be causing this increasingly
strange problem? Thanks.

-Matt