Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 09:05:10 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Narayanan Iyer - MPG SLV <niyer@pcocd2.intel.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory Usage/Allocation

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Narayanan Iyer - MPG SLV wrote:

> Hello
>
> I having some difficulty with FreeBSD 2.2.5 with respect
> to memory allocation by processes.
>
> Example:
>
> a 7MB C file compiles when run as root. However,
> results in "cpp:memory exhausted" when run as a
> user.
>
> The complete executable is 49MB in size but even
> when run as root generates "out of memory".

You would have to check /etc/login.conf, which controls user resources.
The man page is somewhat turgid, but the file itself is pretty easy to
understand. If you want to allocate login classes against different
types of users, you can do this with vipw(1), changing the 5th field in
the passwd file.
+--
|                Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>              |
                                                                --+