Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2007 13:12:59 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unnoticed disconnect

on 25/12/2007 13:03 Andriy Gapon said the following:
> I have a strange problem - when I disconnect a certain USB card reader
> its umass* and da* devices are not removed, there is complete silence in
> the system log and usbdevs -vd still shows it as connected.
> Restarting usbd and/or running usbd -e doesn't change anything.
> If I reconnect the device there is zero reaction as well and da* devices
> are unusable (any access produces several BBB ... IOERROR).
> But if attach another USB device (e.g. USB flash drive) while the reader
> is disconnected then the system notices that it's actually gone and
> performs all the necessary disconnect actions.
>
> This is quite weird for me. My question if this is something most likely
> caused by software or something caused by the hardware. And if the
> latter - what is most likely at fault: the reader, connecting cable,
> physical port, hub ?

Additional fact: it seems that I can produce the effect with ~80% on
port 1 and port 2 of hub 1 and so far I couldn't reproduce it at all on
port 8 of the same hub. This is after about the same number of attempts
on all three ports.
The only difference is that port 1 and port 2 are at the rear panel and
port 8 is at the front.

--
Andriy Gapon