Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 07:12:42 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        moos@degnet.baynet.de
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Quick Question

Darius Moos wrote:

> Please explain to me why this is a security-risk. I've always had
> "." in my PATH.
>
> Darius Moos.
>
> Gary Chrysler wrote:
> > gordon rios wrote:
> > > Hello:
> > > Sometimes in a directory I created from my home directory I get the error
> > > Thanks,
> > > Gordon P. Rios
> > I've seen several replys about adding '.' (dot) to the PATH
> > statement, IMHO this really is not a good habbit to get into
> > especially for the 'root' user! Doing so is a potential
> > security risk!
> >
> > I suggest just typing ./hello
> >
> > -Enjoy
> > Gary
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
> > The Borg... Where minds meet
> > (207) 929-3848
>
> --
>
> email: moos@degnet.baynet.de

If your in a users directory and they have a executable called 'ls'
in there that gets your root password, writes it to a file then
deletes itself and calls the real 'ls'..
Now that user has your root password!

If you look back in the archives you will find a lengthly
discussion on this matter!

Several reasons were given!

-Enjoy
Gary