Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:30:52 -0400
From:      "John Bolster" <j.bol@gte.net>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ftp file corruption

Hello All,

I am running FBSD 4.1 release with ftpd. Transferring small files was no
problem, but I have found repeatedly that once a file gets larger, if I
upload it to the server then download it from the server, what I get back is
the right file size, but corrupted. By corrupted, I mean that some of the
pictures in a large Word document will have gone black, or the install files
for a program will claim to have a crc error.

I am conducting these tests from a Windows 98 machine using Internet
Explorer. I also tried it with Cute FTP, and many other ftp programs. The
corruption occurs also from machines directly connected to the server
through a LAN.

After trying unsuccessfully for hours to send and receive an uncorrupted
version of one file, I tried ftping it to a Pair Networks server and got it
back uncorrupted the first time. This makes me think that ftp is meant to be
stable enough to do this and that there's a problem on my server.

Other oddities I've noticed are:

From time to time when I look in the anonymous ftp directories, I find a
directory in /incoming called /incoming/incoming, or /incoming/pub, or
/incoming/bin, and this directory contains ten directories, named 0 through
9, and each of these contains ten directories named 0 through 9. Since
they're all empty, I've deleted them each time.

I get messages from the kernel that processes exited on signal 11 or 4
(mostly 11). I copied the following snippets from my daily security output
emails (and one from the monthly one) between 4/1/01 and 4/23/01:

alf.clearwateracademy.org kernel log messages:
> pid 1756 (dump), uid 0: exited on signal 4

gzcat: /usr/share/man/man1/make.1.gz: unexpected end of file

gzcat: /usr/share/man/man1/tip.1.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error
Segmentation fault - core dumped

alf.clearwateracademy.org kernel log messages:
> pid 238 (httpd), uid 65534: exited on signal 11

alf.clearwateracademy.org kernel log messages:
> pid 240 (httpd), uid 65534: exited on signal 11
> pid 13206 (perl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

checking for passwordless accounts:
awk: cmd. line:1: fatal error: internal error
Abort trap - core dumped

Is this an undue amount of errors for that time period?

I'm also not sure what I'm to do when I see that something dumped core. So
far, the only thing I've been able to do is to sometimes find the name.core
file and delete it so that I don't get file system full messages.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John Bolster