Date:      Mon, 06 Apr 1998 11:07:08 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
Cc:        Niklas Saers <berenmls@saers.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSDOSFS

> > Perhaps MSDOSFS needs the 'soft' option a la NFS =)
> There are just too many gotchas with PC floppy drives to make them
> safe to mount, IMHO. They're cheap lowest-common-denominator¹
> hardware. You have no assurance that the user doesn't actually switch
> floppies between mount and umount, because you have no way to lock the
> media and disk change sense doesn't work reliably. Floppy operations
Yeah.. <sigh> I know, but lets face it, if people want to mount them, then
they should take responsibility for them screwing up.. _but_ they shouldn't
have to worry about the kernel throwing a wobbly when you mount them..
(ie fail nicely instead of panicing..)

> its use is so restricted that having to mount and umount it all the
> time is a pain in the butt. Hopefully the LS120 brings a solution to
> this; LS120 drives elctromechanical (rather than plain mechanical)
True.. I suppose its just faster to do you work on a HD, and split it up into
1.44Mb chunks.. (but I'd still like it if the kernel didn't die on bad disks)

> media ejection and allow media locking, and their capacity is such
> that it actually makes sense to mount a disk for a certain period of
> time.
They are nice, and they aren't even that expensive.. I wonder how many people
will get them standard..

> ¹ Yeah, I know it's supposed to be greatest common denominator...
Hah.. This is PC hardware you realise?! =)

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |