Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 02:07:37 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Heredity Choice <stork@qnet.com>
Cc:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>, Matt Bedynek <mbedynek@pdq.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Cluster

* Heredity Choice <stork@qnet.com> [001205 01:54] wrote:
> Sprite is an offspring of BSD designed as a distributed operating system. It
> works over a LAN, with process migration to processors not in use. It was
> developed by John Ousterhout and others at the CSRG, Berkeley. Sadly it has
> not been maintained for about 6 years and needs porting to modern hardware.
>
> Rumor has it that the Linux with outstanding clustering ability is
> Turbolinux. Somebody better qualified than I am might like to try cloning to
> FreeBSD the clustering architecture of Turbolinux.

The clustering that TurboLinux does doesn't seem to be the sort of
clustering Tim is looking for.  TurboLinux seems to be going for
high-availability while libraries like mpich/pvm/clusterit are designed
for distributing CPU workloads amongst several nodes.

The clustering the Sprite offers seems to be what he could use,