Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:43:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Redmond Militante <mre037@merle.acns.nwu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   need help with ipfw rules

hi all

my apologies, this could get long as i'm including the text of various
config files:

i've been trying to learn ipfw. i've recompiled a kernel with the
following options

options ICMP_BANDLIM
options IPFIREWALL
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
options IPDIVERT
options TCP_DROP_SYNFIN
options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
options IPSTEALTH
options DUMMYNET

my rc.conf:

# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
defaultrouter="1.1.1.1"
gateway_enable="YES"
hostname="hostname.com"
ifconfig_xl0="inet 1.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
inetd_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/ipfw.rules"
firewall_type="open"
firewall_quiet="NO"
tcp_drop_synfin="NO"
firewall_logging_enable="YES"
icmp_drop_redirect="YES"
log_in_vain="YES"
sendmail_flags=-bd
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_type="auto"
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
saver="logo"
sendmail_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="YES"
portmap_enable="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
mountd_flags="-r"

i haven't edited rc.firewall

this machine is a combinationi desktop/web/ftp/nfs server. my
/etc/ipfw.rules looks like

ipfw add allow ip from any to any
ipfw add allow ip from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.1 vua lo0
ipfw add allow udp from any to any 53
ipfw add check-state
ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 80 setup keep-state
ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 53 setup keep-state
ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 21 setup keep-state
ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 22 setup keep-state
ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 25 setup keep-state
ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 110 setup keep-state
ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 587 setup keep-state
ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 3306 setup keep-state
ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 10000 setup keep-state
ipfw add reject tcp from any to any
ipfw add allow udp from any to any 53
ipfw add allow icmp from any to any icmptype 0,3,4,8,11
ipfw add deny log logamount 5000 ip from any to any

(i was following phoenix's and kirk's ipfw advice in another thread)

i've also added

!ipfw
*.* /var/log/firewall.log

to /etc/syslog.conf, touch /var/log/firewall.log, and restarted syslogd.

upon reboot, the machine hangs in 3 different places during the bootup
process.  my bootup messages look like:

[snip]
additional network daemons:mountd oct 21 15:27:47 hostname mountd[96]: get
hostname failed for www3
oct 21 15:27:47 hostname mountd[96]: bad host www3, skipping
oct 21 15:27:47 hostname mountd[96]: bad exports list line
/mnt/drive2/dailybackup www3
nfs on reserved port only=YES nfsd rpc.statd
[snip]

here it hangs on mountd for a minute or two, then proceeds

[snip]
starting standard daemons: inetd cron sshd usbd sendmail
sendmail-clientmqueue
[snip]
here it hangs on sendmail and sendmail-clientmqueue, then proceeds

it then hangs for hours at 'recovering vi sessions:'.
it eventually boots all the way through after a few hours.

this is not workable for me. i've switched my /etc/ipfw.rules to

ipfw add allow ip from any to any
ipfw add allow udp from any to any 53

temporarily, so that i can use the machine, but would like to have a set
of basic ipfw rules in place.

can anyone tell me where i'm going wrong? i think it's hanging on the
bootup process because my ipfw.rules are messed up.

thanks
redmond

Redmond Militante
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA
r-militante@northwestern.edu
847-467-7617