Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 11:28:39 -0600
From:      Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Preemptive kernel on older X86 hardware

}   Nobody is advocating scrapping the 386 for UP kernels.  Even when/if
}   the kernel becomes threaded, it still probably will not be preemptive
}   but even if it were we are not going to be throwing cmpexg instructions
}   in mainline *UP* code.  If some of the imported code happens to do that,
}   it's trivial to fix with #ifdef's for 386/486 support.

This is actually not true (the nobody part).  I'm afraid I have no
idea how to do a preemptive kernel where it doesn't diverge so
greatly that it won't be effectively a totally separate kernel. I
think if FreeBSD is not willing to bite the bullet on going to the
preemptive kernel then it just shouldn't get done.

Chuck