Date:      19 Jul 2003 15:03:10 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade GNOME 1.4 to 2.2 on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE

--=-z5A80QMzegjbdHwHibJM

On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 14:27, Bob Perry wrote:
> Hi,
> Just cvsup'd the latest ports tree and found 15 ports "orphaned".  Later=20
> found that GNOME 1.4 was no longer supported and it was recommended that=20
> GNOME 2.2 be installed.  I read the FAQ document and in section # 4, it=20
> indicates that 16 GNOME 1.4 pkgs needed to be removed before attempting=20
> the upgrade.
>=20
>     * Can I assume that it is not necessary to remove a pkg if it has
>       been orphaned?

No, you should still remove the old ports.

>     * Three of the ports mentioned in the section, libgtop, gedit, and
>       eog, are questionable.
>=20
>         * Libgtop is still shown as "up-to-date with port".  Should I
>           still remove libgtop or is there a late change with regard to
>           its' existance?

Yes.  libgtop conflicts with libgtop2.  libgtop is scheduled for removal
in phase II of the GNOME 1.4 purge.

>         * gedit and eog simply don't appear at all in the port tree.=20
>           Can I disregard them?

If you have them installed, you need to remove them.  There are newer
versions that are part of the GNOME 2 desktop.

>=20
>     * Are WITH_FAM and WITH_LAME necessary when upgrading?

No, but they make the final desktop a bit nicer.

Joe