Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2006 20:44:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tenebrae <tenebrae_bsd@niceboots.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA RAID: Adaptec 1420SA, Promise TX4300?

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Matthias Andree wrote:

> RAID1 is _not_ a backup, but an availability aid.
> If going for RAID1, be sure to add a backup solution.

More to think about...thank you.
I am trying to get some peace of mind on a budget, though.  I suppose I
need to give more consideration to what my priorities are since I don't
think I will be able to do all that "should" be done.

> Be sure to get something that is real hardware RAID.
>
> You don't need to pay for software RAID, you usually get that for free
> with the onboard chipset these days.

The motherboard in question is a Tyan Thunder HEsl-T (S2688).  It's a
hand-me-down, but still beats the pants off of anything else I've got at
the moment.

> No way. Real RAID costs more than twice as much for 4 ports. 150 bucks
> suffice only for the 2 port warm-plug (i. e. you need to manually mark
> the drive for removal in the software or BIOS, then exchange it , then
> manually start the rebuild operation in software or BIOS)
> 3Ware (now AMCC) Escalade 8006-2LP.

Ah, I see.  The 8506-4LP seems to be discontinued from my vendor, but they
do carry the 8006-2LP in that price range.

> > If it makes any difference, I plan to buy a pair of these drives for it:
> > Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB Hard Drive 6V300F0, Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s, 7200
> > RPM, 16MB Cache.
>
> Are you fixed on Maxtor? Personally, I'd prefer Samsung, Seagate,
> Western Digital (in alphabetic order).

My last functioning batch of hard drives were all Maxtor.  Looks like
Seagate is buying Maxtor, so it probably won't matter soon.  ;)
I've nothing against Seagate, though.
								-Tenebrae.
---
The sending of any unsolicited email advertising messages to this domain
may result in the imposition of civil liability against you in accordance
with Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code Section 17538.45.