Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 00:20:27 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <garya@ics.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: stty -- not

> : #ifdef ASIDE
> : Given that the handbook shows use of hex numbers, is there a
> : chance that historical usage allowed hex numbers, and any mods
> : should continue to allow hex numbers?  Or was the handbook just
> : plain wrong?
> : #endif /* ASIDE */
>
> You know, you could fix the bug in the handbook by posting patched (or
> send-pr'ing them) that allows this to work.  Or you could pull a
> Tom and bet me that I couldn't do it by midnight.... :-)

Not sure if that was to me or Sean :-)
I figure before I go mucking with anything, I want to know how
it's supposed to work.
You lost the bet already by my clock :-)

> : If not, is the only way to get back to "normal" to reboot?
>
> I'm not sure that it is relevant to these problems, but NetBSD and
> OpenBSD had some fixes go in in the last couple of months to lpd that
> fixed a problem with setting and clearing bits of some sort.  Has
> FreeBSD picked them up?  A quick cvs log doesn't help :-(.  A quick
> diff shows there to be some changes in this area between FreeBSD and
> NetBSD (at least between -stable and the latest sup I have from
> NetBSD).  Something about the xc or xs being busted, but I can't
> recall now the details.  Maybe that's the problem????

As nearly as I can figure out, the bits we're talking about should
be in the fc / fs set.  But since I can't get them to work under
any conditions, and noone has indicated they are broken in 2.1
which is what I'm running, I'm stumped.  I assumed (silly me) that
surely someone out there was running an old serial character printer,
and would have a definitive answer.

--
Gary Aitken		garya@ics.com		(business)
			garya@dreamchaser.org	(personal)