Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 1995 09:54:37 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
Cc:        erich@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Troubles with linux_lib: wrong directory tree maked!

=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= writes:
>In message <199511111511.JAA19309@jake.lodgenet.com> Eric L. Hernes
>    writes:
>
>You miss the point here. Everybody know that they must

I wouldn't say everybody.  The guy who does a pkg_add from the CD
shouldn't be expected to.

>be in /compat/linux, but it can be done by many different
>ways other then PREFIX redifinition which cause wrong mtree call.

Yes, it could install to /usr/local, then make a symlink from
/compat/linux to /usr/local/lib/linux, but I really don't think
that  a port has any business mucking around outside of
it's ${PREFIX}.  If this were the situation, someone would
do a pkg_delete and wonder why the symlink from /compat/linux was
left there.  Although now if someone does a pkg_delete, the whole
messy mtree is left. :(

I'm open to suggestion here.

>Did you ever try to install this as port? If do, enter
>'ls /compat/linux' after and see what happens.

Yes, I know what it does.  I just didn't think it was that big
a deal.

>--
>Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
>ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -
>http://dt.demos.su/~ache : Might start at beholding me,  /Thinking me dead.
>RELCOM Team,FreeBSD Team :         E.A.Poe         From "For Annie" 1849

eric.