Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:08:57 +0700
From:      pirat <pirat@access.inet.co.th>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Subject:   newfs for insufficient inodes file system

hi sirs,

four months ago, i faced problem of insufficient inodes for /usr and one of
solution for that, from Gregory Bond, was that to backup and do a newfs
for that file system.

today the situation become worst since i can not do any portupgrade even
/usr/local is a separate file system though.

am not an expert in FreeBSD but a plain user instead.  i have backed /usr up
already and going to do newfs on that.  my questions are that

      1) should i drop into a single mode first ?
      2) what parameter for newfs to pass to (i used sysinstall to do that
         and did make world and friends to upgrade my machine) ?

below are my uname and informations about /usr

[firak] ~ # uname -a
FreeBSD firak.thai-aec.org 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #7: Sun Dec  7 10:19:07
 ICT 2003     firak@firak.thai-aec.org:/var/obj/var/src/sys/Firak  i386

[firak] ~ # newfs -N /dev/ad0s1f
Warning: Block size and bytes per inode restrict cylinders per group to 89.
/dev/ad0s1f:    1740800 sectors in 425 cylinders of 1 tracks, 4096 sectors
        850.0MB in 5 cyl groups (89 c/g, 178.00MB/g, 21504 i/g)
super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
 32, 364576, 729120, 1093664, 1458208

any helps and hints are welcome and appreciated.

with best regards,
psr

http://www.thai-aec.org
http://www.thai.net/makham