Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:19:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        imb@scgt.oz.au (michael butler)
Cc:        lehey.pad@sni.de, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP bonding ..

> Greg Lehey writes:
>
> > If anybody either side of the pond can give any input on channel bonding,
> > I'd be grateful, and I'm sure Gary will be too.
>
> Speaking of bonding .. what's needed to allow two modem-based PPP interfaces
> link to the same destination ? As far as I can tell ..
>
> i) you need one "virtual interface" at the route socket level with path
> splitting underneath it.

I would think that the "tun" device is a good approximation  :-)

> ii) the "splitter" needs to have an intimate knowledge of the transmit queue
> lengths of each of the paths in order to choose the one with the least
> latency.

I think iijppp can find this out.

> iii) Possibly, with assymetric or paths of different speed, some weighting
> needs to be applied in addition to simple length assessment.
>
> What else needs to be addressed ? Can this be (realistically) done by
> hacking on ijppp or is it a kernel-only job ?

Without having looked at iijppp itself, I would say that it's the perfect
paradigm.

You have a single kernel interface, "tun0", etc.

"iijppp" opens modem(s), connects them, and shuffles packets out whichever
serial interface it needs to, based on load or fancy algorithms.

You take the kernel and associated muckiness out of the loop, making it
easier to test and develop.

> Linux seems to have this capability .. do we want (need ?) to be compatible
> with them ?

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968