Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 12:57:43 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ? about hosts file

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 01:42:53PM -0500, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
> I thought that putting 10.0.10.1 like I have it below that
> I would be able to put lanhost in telnet to logon to the
> gateway box from the winbox connected to the other end of
> the lan crossover cable.
> When I do that I get unable to reach host.
> Putting in IP address 10.0.10.1 in telnet gets me connected.
> My host.conf file has first go to host then bind.
> Am I using the hosts file wrong?

I think so... assuming I've read your message correctly, you want to be
able to telnet from your Windows machine to your FreeBSD machine using
hostnames rather than IP addresses?  The /etc/hosts on the FreeBSD box
won't help you there -- it's private to that machine; your Windows box
neither knows nor cares what you've got in that file.

You could add the same hostname<-->address mappings to the hosts file on
your Windows box (yes, it does have one -- can't remember exactly where it
lives, but a 'Find Files' under C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT for 'hosts' should
turn it up.  IIRC, the format is pretty standard).

Alternatively, you could run a DNS nameserver on the FreeBSD box, so that
all machines on your LAN can share a single set of hostname definitions.
This is a little more work to set up (and you'll need to do some research
first, so you know what you're doing before you begin), but well worth it
in the long run.

HTH,

	Scott