Date:      Thu, 01 Aug 2002 12:25:09 +0100
From:      Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenSSL in apache-modssl package

I have a machine running 4.6-RELEASE-p2.  I'm upgrading to 4.6-RELENG
because of the recent flurry of advisories.

Among other services, I'm running Apache with mod_ssl, installed as a
package:

  apache+mod_ssl-1.3.26+2.8.10
  apache-1.3.26_3

I'm concerned about this in the light of the recent OpenSSL advisory.
Can anyone advise me on securing this installation?  I have my own
musings on the subject, below, but I would like to get a consensus
answer.

There doesn't seem to be a more recent mod_ssl package available.

The mod_ssl site says that the current release is 2.8.10 for Apache
1.3.26, which is what I have.

The files in /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl haven't changed for a while.

The OpenSSL site says that I need OpenSSL 0.9.6e.

I don't know how to tell whether mod_ssl includes its own copy of
OpenSSL or links with the system OpenSSL library, and (if the latter)
whether it does so statically or dynamically.  If it links dynamically
with the system OpenSSL (/usr/lib/libssl.so.2), then the upgrade to
4.6-RELENG will secure it.  However, the package includes
/usr/local/libexec/apache/libssl.so, which looks to me as if it is,
exactly, OpenSSL (0.9.6a, apparently, based on the output of
"strings").  So maybe mod_ssl is dynamically linking with this version
of OpenSSL.  If so, can I simply replace this file with a copy of
/usr/lib/libssl.so, after the upgrade?

The OpenSSL advisory says that I can work around the vulnerabilities
on a server by turning off version 2 of the SSL protocol.  Can I do
that simply by changing the SSLCipherSuite line in httpd.conf?  If so,
will the reduced server capability adversely affect security?

Nick B