Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:48:03 +0200
From:      Mark Evenson <mark.evenson@gmx.at>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome 2.14???

Stefan Vrabie wrote:
> Hi there...
>
> Here goes... I have FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE, fresh install without gnome or
> anything... just the core system. I want Gnome 2.14... I've had it in
> Fedora Core5, Ubuntu Dapper, and it's heaps better than Gnome 2.12...
>
> So in a proper RTFM-ish manner I read the manual... -
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q1
>
> Hmm, I should # pkg_add -r gnome2 ? Great... especially since the manual
> says "This will download the latest GNOME 2.14 packages from the FreeBSD
> FTP site, and proceed to install them on your system."...
>
> But guess what.... After that was over with... I got Gnome 2.12 ??? How
> come??? Please take a moment to try and imagine the frustration.... the
> great news? to upgrade a simple portupgrade -a would do.... not much
> good, cause it would take quite some hours...

[I am not part of the GNOME team, so take this as non-authoritative.]

The binary packages often lag a bit behind the the ports tree, so if you
want the absolute latests, you have to build GNOME from source, so
either a) wait for the binary packages to update (not sure how one can
check status here) or b) "portupgrade -s x11/gnome2".  And yes it will
take a while to build.

NB:  if you use Evolution with Exchange you might want to hold off, as I
have been bitten [[1]] with a (as of yet unduplicated) problem with
evolution-2.14.2 and evolution-exchange-2.14.2.

[[1]] news://news.gmane.org:119/e5jugr$at6$1@sea.gmane.org