Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 96 00:10:41 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyes01@ibm.net>
To:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How do i find out how much memory FreeBSD can see?

At work I have a compaq with 20MB of ram. At boot time FreeBSD
displays a line with that seems to be the amount of memory freeBSD
can see. It only lists 16MB.

I think I recall reading somewhere that Compaqs had this problem and
that I had to make a new kernell with an option indicating the amount
of memory. I followed the instructions on the handbook and FAQ on how
to tell freebsd on the kernell the amount of maximun memory. After
the computer booted again it was still showing 16.

Moreover, after I booted with the new kernell I lost all users and
certain system configurations (such as the name of the prompt been
the name of the machine).