Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 02:02:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        kline@tera.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beginning user's OS (was: Here is a really odd question!!!)

My hidden microphone recorded Gary Kline (kline@tera.com) saying:

% 	I'm watching this discussion with considerable interest
% 	since my 32-month-old daughter is very interested in my
% 	computer.  So far she's learned virtually all the ASCII
% 	character set, and in another few years I think that
% 	she will be ready for much more.
%
% 	What's the consensus on BASIC? Or FORTRAN?  xcoral has
% 	a C interpreter that could be broken out... .
%
% 	Bright children really do absorb things quickly; just
% 	how quickly has amazed me no end!

My daughter is 27 months old next week, and is already a skilled computer
user.  She has 3 programs on CD-ROM of her own, and gets another one every 2
or 3 months.  She can load the CD herself, and has become quite proficient at
using the keyboard-driven programs.

We bought her first, called "Baby Rom," last fall when she was 18 months old.
She learned the entire alphabet in 9 weeks, and the numbers 1-9 in another 2
weeks.

Since then, we've added the Fisher-Price Barnyard CD.  She can now tell you
what kinds of food all of the common barnyard animals eat, how plants grow
from seeds, and the names of the common barnyard animals and their babies.

She's still not quite "getting" the use of the mouse, though she's willing to
try.  She enjoys typing and identifying the letters she makes, and can type
any letter you ask her to.

I think I'll wait till after her third birthday, then find a good Logo
implementation.  If there isn't one already, it shouldn't be too difficult to
create one, it's a pretty simple language.  Anyone around here have a
yacc-able grammer for Logo?