Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:00:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@synet.net>
To:        rewt@i-Plus.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: oops...  nevermind what I said about qpopper

From: "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
> A few days ago, I responded to a post asking how to get qpopper to
> run on FreeBSD.  One of the things I mentioned, was to change the
> directories in popper.h.  DO NOT DO THIS, YOU MAY LOOSE MAIL.
>
> Earlier tonight, I lost an untold amount of mail when my server
> rebooted.  Of course, in /etc/rc. /tmp is cleaned up.  Nothing
> survives...  not even temporary mail files.  Damn blanktime
> thingie... grrr....
>
> (Oh, it now seems that the easiest way to get qpopper to work, is to
> 'chmod 1777 /var/mail'  Are there any religious reasons why I don't
> want to do this?)

I've installed ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/quest/unix/servers/popper/qpop2.2.tar.Z

It's installed as:
-rwxr-xr-x   2 bin      bin         49152 Dec 13 17:03 /usr/local/libexec/popper

with inetd.conf:
pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/popper       popper -s

and from popper.h:

#if !defined(OSDONE) && (defined(BSD) && ((BSD) >= 199103))
# define POP_MAILDIR     "/var/mail"
# define POP_DROP        "/var/mail/.%s.pop"
# define POP_TMPDROP     "/var/mail/tmpXXXXXX"
# define POP_TMPXMIT     "/var/mail/xmitXXXXXX"
# define MAIL_COMMAND    "/usr/sbin/sendmail"
# define OSDONE
#endif

Everything works fine.  It runs as root, and has no problems with permissions.
Perhaps I've missed something, but it works for me.

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@synet.net