Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:53:48 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin <k@kevinkevin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make buildkernel fails

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:13:52AM -0400, Kevin wrote:
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD ck.com 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #1: Tue Jul 15 11:38:41 EDT
> 2008     ck@friendlybearonskates.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CK  i386
> #
>
> Make  buildkernel kernconf=CK fails here :
>
> linking kernel.debug
> sbp.o(.text+0xd9d): In function `sbp_free_ocb':
> /usr/src/sys/dev/firewire/sbp.c:2905: undefined reference to
> `xpt_release_devq'

> snip and skip...

> umass.o(.text+0x1c): In function `umass_cam_detach_sim':
> /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/umass.c:2708: undefined reference to
> `xpt_bus_deregister'

xpt_* missing symbols are due to CAM being removed from your kernel
configuration.  You'll need "device scbus" and "device da".

> /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/if_ural.c:627: undefined reference to
> `ieee80211_free_node'

ieee80211_* missing symbols are due to you attempting to include some
wireless USB drivers; you'll need "device wlan".

> It worked previously, the only change in my kernel configuration was "option
> MROUTING", which doesn't seem related to this failure. I could comment out
> all the usb/firewire options I suppose ,but I thought I'd get some insight
> hopefully from stable first.

A few things:

1) Your kernel configuration may be "out of date" compared to GENERIC.
GENERIC is updated often; sometimes device names change, or things are
removed/replaced or added for needed features.

I assume your CK config is outdated since the box was last built in
July.  I recommend doing cp GENERIC CK and then editing CK to your
needs.

2) Did you rm -fr /usr/obj/* before starting this build?  If not,
try it.  There may be old cruft in there from July.