Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:44:57 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Robert Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: moving users from 2.2.6 to 3.2 release

Robert Sowders wrote:

> I'm having a problem moving users from a 2.2.6 machine
> to a new install on a 3.2 release machine.
>
> Is there a way to move the passwd files from the 2.2.6 machine
> to the 3.2 machine.  I tried moving the master.passwd file and
> running vipw to no avail, the user passwords are invalid.
> I ran pwd_mkdb -p and still no good.
> I ran pwd_mkdb -C still no good.
>
> I give up how do you move accounts from the 2.2.6 machine to the
> 3.2 machine and still retain the user passwords?

	This sounds like the classic "I installed DES on one machine and not the
other" problem. Do all the passwords start with $1 as the first two
characters? If not, that's the problem. You need to install the DES
libraries on the new machine and you should be good to go. BTW, you want to
use pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd to rebuild your databases, not vipw. Use
vipw to edit the files, but that's not what you're doing here.

Good luck,

Doug