Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 14:14:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange BTX halted error

:...
:>     dangerously dedicated partitions.  It's what prompted me to fix the
:>     disklabel code to allow boot blocks to be installed on slices.
:>     Unfortunately, the only way I could fix my particular problem was
:>     to get rid of my dangerously dedicated partition which meant blowing
:>     away the hard drive and repartitioning and relabeling it.
:
:If disk is `dangerously dedicated', sector 0:0:1 is occupied with boot1,
:which does not use master PT area (0x1BE-0x1FF) and even contains
:a simple fake valid PT. Did you ever try to set there something syntactically
:valid for your BIOS and enough to allow loading of specific "bootloader"?
:If you did, what was the problem?

    Yah, I tried that... didn't work.  What did work was blowing away
    (zeroing) the beginning of the disk and then re-partitioning it
    from scratch using a real DOS disk partition and boot0 (using fdisk -BI),
    and installing boot1 and boot2 on the FreeBSD slice with disklabel's
    new ability to install boot sectors on slices, using
    'disklabel -w -r -B da0s1 auto'.  That worked.  I incorporated the
    sequence into the disklabel manual page near the end of the EXAMPLES
    section.

:P.S. On our FreeBSD hosts bunch we almost proved practically that the
:only safe partitioning is to create DOS slices (with below-cyl-1024
:bootable one) with LBA geometry specified to fdisk. Any another approach
:leads to something strange effects: e.g. BTX cannot load /boot/loader
:and loads kernel directly, with natural `nlist failed'. But we never
:tried to change fake PT on dedicated disk directly.
:
:/netch

    I haven't had to do that.  Yet.

						-Matt