Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 02:07:59 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Tim E Schafer <tim_schafer@agship.com>
Cc:        "'Java FreeBSD'" <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: All Linux JDK with Hotspot or JIT unstable on FreeBSD

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 09:15:13AM -0700, Tim E Schafer wrote:
> While I understand that hotspot and native threads are separate things
> I noticed that when I use -classic with the Sun Linux JDK 1.3.1 it
> doesn't seem to use native threads either
>
> So I figured it was an all or nothing thing.

Hmm, looks like the Sun .java_wrapper currently enforces that for Linux:

if [ "${vmtype}" = "classic" ]; then
    ttype=green_threads
    LD_BIND_NOW=yes
    export LD_BIND_NOW
    _JVM_THREADS_TYPE=green_threads
    export _JVM_THREADS_TYPE
fi

You could try removing the green_threads setting and see how it goes.
I was assuming because FreeBSD doesn't force a threading subsystem that
Linux wouldn't, but it looks like I was wrong.

BTW, mandating a specific threading subsystem goes against a core tenet
of Java.  For instance, the JCK testing suite specifically disallows tests
that rely on a specific underelying threading model.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Web   : http://www.eyesbeyond.com