Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:12:52 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Rick Hoppe <mailing@rickhoppe.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail broken after upgrade 4.4-RELEASE to 4.5-STABLE

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 10:12:08PM +0100, Rick Hoppe wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Today I CVSupped to get the RELENG_4 source on my server, so I could upgrade
> my FreeBSD4.3-RELEASE to FreeBSD4.5-STABLE. But when everything was finished
> and I rebooted my server, the sendmail installation was broken. When
> sendmail was initialized by /etc/rc it gave me this error:
>
> Feb 14 21:30:00 ns1 sendmail[105]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): Warning: .cf
> version level (10) exceeds sendmail version 8.11.6 functionality (9)
>
> Some time ago I already upgraded the sendmail installation to 8.12.2 so I
> didn't want make world to do something with sendmail.
>
> So I did specify in /etc/make.conf not to create sendmail, but somehow the
> "old" version 8.11.6 was installed by make world.
>
> This is my /etc/make.conf
>
> CFLAGS= -O -pipe
> NO_BIND=        true    # do not build BIND
> NO_SENDMAIL=    true    # do not build sendmail and related programs
> NO_X=           true    # do not compile in XWindows support (e.g. doscmd)
> NOGAMES=        true    # do not build games (games/ subdir)
>
> All other options like NO_BIND, NO_X and NOGAMES were respected with make
> world. So none of these were installed.

That looks like it should have worked.

> This is the procedure I took to upgrade:
> make buildworld
> shutdown now    (to single user mode)
> make installworld
> return  (back to multi user environment)
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=FIREWALL  (with IPFILTER enabled)
> make installkernel KERNCONF=FIREWALL
> shutdown -r now

Your procedure is messed up (i.e. dangerous), but it shouldn't have
caused this problem. You should (too be safe),

  # make buildworld
  # make buildkernel
  # make installkernel
  # shutdown -r now
  (in single-user mode)
  # make installworld
  # mergemaster
  # reboot

If you want to live dangerously (if you feel comfortable recovering a
broken system with a fixit floppy or CDROM), you can skip dropping
into single-user mode. But you should always install the new kernel
before the new world (the new world might not work with the old
kernel, whereas the new kernel is usually back compatible with old
world).

> I already fixed the sendmail installation by starting "sh Build install" in
> my sendmail source directory, but what did I do wrong to cause sendmail to
> be installed by make world?

Do you still have the object tree around? What does,

  $ ls -l /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin

Return?