Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 12:23:50 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why encourage stupid people to use *BSD WAS:Re: IE forFreeBSDPetition

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 02:41:31AM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> In fact, now that I think about it, our installation routine is
> available only in English, isn't it? (I've heard that there's a
> localized Japanese installer, but it isn't in the repository.)

I know the French translation team have expressed an interest in a French
sysinstall.

Of course, step 1 in this project is localsing sysinstall in the first
place.  Translating message strings is (I think) somewhat simpler.

> - Shouldn't the resources that are spent on translation rather be
>   devoted to improving documentation or code? Are translators really
>   a separate group that wouldn't contribute otherwise if they
>   weren't tied up with translations?

I don't think so.  Primarily, this is because we have no control over what
section of the project people want to contribute to.  If someone comes along
and wants to contribute by doing translations then I'm not going to say
"Well, thanks for volunteering, but we'd rather you didn't, and tried writing
some articles instead."

If someone comes along and says they can do both, and what should they
concentrate on, the decision is still not so clear cut.  By translating
existing documentation they open it out to a wider audience, some of whom
might then contribute back articles (or source code) of their own.

> For quite some time now I have been holding the belief that not
> everybody is served well by a unix box on their desktop. Lately,
> I have become increasingly outspoken about this. The reactions are
> interesting. Some people seem to be offended that I don't try to
> fanatically convince them to run "Linux" (they haven't heard of
> unix yet).

No, makes sense.  I've been holding the belief for ages that not everybody
is served well by a Windows box on their desktop :-)

> My latest scheme to make myself unpopular is to become outspoken
> about the language issue. I'm sick and tired of the whining about
> documentation only being available in English.

Is that 'whining' generic, or is it specific to FreeBSD?  I haven't seen
any (but I don't frequent -questions).