Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:01:59 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
Cc:        Alvin Jiang <alvin@singnet.com.sg>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: PS/2 mouse troubles?

>Unfortunately, the suggested remedy only compounded the problem.
>Setting the psm0 flags to 0x100 killed X when the mouse lost sync.
>Running moused and using sysmouse caused extremely eratic behavior.
>Without moused and using /dev/psm0 for X simply froze the mouse --
>although switching to another console and back seemed to work.

Would you please provide the following information.

1. The model of your Logitech PS/2 mouse.
2. When booting the system, give "boot -v" at the loader prompt
   to obtain verbose messages, and send us /var/log/dmesg.boot.
3. Run `moused' as follows and show us the output.
       moused -i all -d -p /dev/psm0
4. Tell me if you are using some sort of console switch.
   (We have had a lot of troubles with consoles switches.)
5. How did you start `moused'?  What options did you gave?

>It appears to be an old problem resurfacing. Were it not for the fact
>that I've had no problems before I built world from sources supped
>Saturday morning -- and there have been syscons changes since my
>previous sup, I would write it off to a dying mouse and go on.

When the X server is directly accessing /dev/psm0, syscons has nothing
to do with mouse data stream.  Syscons/sysmouse see mouse data only
when you run moused.

Kazu