Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:11:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-SECURITY-L <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Informing users of cracked passwords?

    What is generally the best approach to handling a situation in an
ISP where a large of number of users (e.g., over 1000) are found to
have vulnerable passwords?

    We ran Crack on our master.passwd for a week or so, and after the
dust settled, over 1700 accounts were exposed.  This is what we did:

1)  Gave no warning to our users (we didn't want to alert hackers to
    our crackdown on bad passwords)

2)  Installed a new passwd binary linked with libcrack

3)  Expired all affected passwords and set home directories to mode
    000 (mainly to deny access to the .rhosts file and public_html
    directory

4)  Required that new passwords be provided via voice call to our
    customer support desk

    From previous discussions in security-related newsgroups, I am
under the impression that the best policy for a public-access site
is a clean sweep like this.  No warning off the impending cut-off
date, and force the user to specify a better password.

    Does anyone have any counter-advice to the above method?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.