Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 1998 21:43:16 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kedar@asacomputers.com (Kedar Rajadnya), smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TYAN 1668 anyone ??

> Hmm, I doubt it, I use only prime quality RAM here (because of exactly
> that reason), and the same RAM works just fine in a 1662 board, which
> is just as picky...

Actually, and just to note it for the audience, it's easily possible
to create memory failures using "prime quality" RAM that has been
tested on a different motherboard.  Mixing RAM from different
manufacturers, using RAM of the wrong speed or at the wrong voltage
(in motherboards which allow that degree of configuration), all would
be possible while meeting the above criteria and all have been
reported to us as the causes of mysterious hangs, crashes, resets, you
name it.  Once the RAM was simply swapped or the misconfiguration
issues dealt with, the system has become a rock of gibraltar in each
case.  I'm using several 1668 mobos myself, and they work very nicely
with Matrox cards (yep, there's another variable for you! ;)

- Jordan