Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:00:18 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
To:        Robby Balona <robby@grab.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best SMTP Gateway Program and Reporting Tools

Robby Balona wrote:

> I love qmail also.. but didn't do well under heavy smtp load in my
> environment. I put qmail +vpopmail + qmailadmin
> +clamav+dovecot+spamassasin + assap +squirrelmail together.

I use Qmail on almost all of our SMTP servers. On the ones that only
house a couple hundred email addresses, your setup works flawlessly in
our environment.

On the boxes with 10k+ email accounts, I do away with all of the
filtering stuff, and front-end the Qmail/Vpopmail boxes with third party
appliances.

 From what I can tell, it's the filtering processes that are the
bottleneck under heavy load. Take them out of the equation and load is
no longer an issue.

Just my .02.

Steve