Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 19:23:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org (Philippe Regnauld)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Base tree bloating (Was: ex/vi version 1.79 now available for anonymous ftp.)

> sos@FreeBSD.org (sos) ecrit/writes:
>
> > Actually I think NONE of them (tcl, perl?) belong in the base OS, but
> > they are fine as ports (so are the new vi :) )
>
> 	I tend to agree with you.  I guess  that now that there are several
> 	Perl dependencies in the  tree (killall, adduser,  etc...), there's
> 	really no way of making Perl optional (well, it  COULD be made that
> 	Perl and  all  those that need  it  be only  installed  if Perl  is
> 	checked at Install time -- call it 'mandatory packages' :-P ).
>
> 	As for tcl, well, I guess that having Perl  already there made it a
> 	'come one, come all' policy -- something to be avoided.
>
> 	This is why, as much as I like Perl, importing Perl 5 should be put
> 	off, if not  permanently, at least for a  while: as Ollivier Robert
> 	wrote, 5.002 was bugged, 5.003  is a kludge, and  5.004 is not  out
> 	yet.
>
> 	Furthermore,  that's 8 more  MB in the  BASE tree!   I'm sorry, but
> 	that's a LOT compared to the size  of the minimal bin distribution.
>
> 	Perl 5 should remain a port.

Amen!!

> > We have been polluting our base tree with this stuff for too long,
>
> 	I  think PHK's '/usr/src/contrib'  policy  is  already a  good step
> 	towards 'modularity'   (call  it 'purity'  if  you  like).  Without
> 	wanting  to sound like    Linux Slackware, what about  install-time
> 	selecting those distribs that are in the /usr/src/contrib ?

Maybe a good idea, but we _need_ things like the compiler etc (boy
do I wish a non-GNU compiler for Xmas, and yes I know about LCC)...

> > and it seems we are getting a habit of more is better. Why do we have
> > ports at all, hell put it all in the base tree, and I'll do a
> > "back to basics BSD" for the purists to run... (nice idea btw)...
>
> 	More work towards  modularity, i.e.: rewrite adduser  et al in  sh.
> 	We don't need SosBSD :-)))

I have looked at the perl junk we have in the tree, all of it could be
rewritten in a very short time....

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..