Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:14:18 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot errors loading Firewall

I have recently created a new set of rules for IPFW using a similar
approach to setting the variables in /etc/rc.firewall. Also, the server on
DSL dynamic IP, is not on a static IP, and thus changes on any reconnect,
such as a reboot.

I'm getting a bunch of errors at boot because the FW rules cannot recognize
the "host" for some reason. Thus, things don't work right (no email or FTP)
because the system is still looking for the previous "oif" IP. If I stop
natd, reload the same FW rules and restart natd, everything gets updated
okay and then things work right again. But, why not at bootup?

I thought this might be because the order of things in my rc.conf file were
wrong, but "ppp" stuff is started first which should set the new "oif"
before the rules load and look for that "oif" tun0 variable. But, indeed,
the firewall rules load last in the config file. Wonder what causes this?
Here's my variables at the beginning of my firewall:

IPFIREWALL RULES
#### Set defaults
# set these to your outside interface network and netmask and ip
# for dynamic IP address from ISP use there range
        oif="tun0"
        onet=`ifconfig tun0 | awk '/inet / {print $4}'`
        omask=`ifconfig tun0 | awk '/netmask / {print $6}'`
        oip=`ifconfig tun0 | awk '/inet / {print $2}'`

</snip>
Any thoughts appreciated....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"