Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:05:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How about gcj? (Re: Not committing WARNS settings...)

On  6 Feb, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 11:19:19AM -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>> BTW, how about, may be, if the  stars are right, bringing in the Java
>> support too? gcj is now one of  the compilers, that come with the GCC
>> package...

> Uh, NO! It is not needed by the  base system. We really do not want to
> turn on  all the support libs,  etc.. that would be  needed with this.
> There is a reason the gcc30 port takes 25 minutes to compile on a fast
> 1.2 GHz Athlon.

That's  the thing.  gcc30  port,  essentially, installs  a  copy of  the
compiler already available as part of  the base. But the base is missing
gcj (the port does too for now), so one would be forced to add the port.

If it were  possible (through a port) to add  just gcj (and accompanying
libraries) to integrate with the already present gcc and other bits, but
it  is  not :-(  Even  the  things like  libiberty  and  libbfd are  not
installed...

Can we have  those installed, at least,  to ease the work  of the future
porter?

	-mi