Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 23:47:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <oliver.fromme@heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        keichii@peorth.iteration.net (Michael C. Wu)
Cc:        yokota@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, oliver.fromme@heim3.tu-clausthal.de
Subject:   Re: about Kern/15436

Michael C. Wu wrote:
 > Will you consider looking at :
 >
 > http://dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de/~olli/propellers/

 > It is an additional functionality and should not
 > pose a stability/tradition/POLA issue.
 >
 > Perhaps we can get this done in time for for 4.1-R?

This would be great, but I doubt it will be in 4.1-R.
Please remember that we're only 2 - 3 weeks away from the
release date, and maybe just one week from the beta stage.

The ``propellers'' code is not widely tested (although I'm
using it for many months, as well as a few friends of mine,
but I wouldn't call this a ``wide test''), so I'd consider
it to be experimental.  5.0-current is the right place to put
this code into.  Whether it's appropriate to MFC it after a
while is a different question, but this won't happen before
4.1-R, I'm sure.

BTW, the code that I have (and which I submitted) is for
4.0-current (about half a year old), and there have been a
few changes to syscons in the meantime.  That means that the
code has to undergo some changes before it can be committed.
And right now I have almost _zero_ time to spend on that
(I'm moving and changing jobs).

Regards
   Oliver Fromme

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)