Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 00:04:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR SCSI controller

On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, Howard Lew wrote:

> Can anyone give me so info about NCR based SCSI controllers?  Is it just
> the chip?   Which ones work with FreeBSD?  And where can I get one?

The NCR (now Symbios) SCSI controllers are great performers at a great
price.  I have a 815 with two 4x SCSI CDs working off of it and not a
problem.  Of course, these are complete cards, not just the chip.  NCR
themselves make some 'sample' boards, and I believe TEKRAM and ASUS have
units.

My card, the 815, has an on-board Flash BIOS that probes the disks on
startup and if I had hard disks attached, would make those available for
booting.

The 810, 815 and I assume the 825 should work with 2.1.6 and 2.2.  Support
was just committed for the 875 (AMD & Tekram wide units) in -current.

I purchased mine from Insight Electronics; information is available from
Symbios's web page at the standard:  www.symbios.com.  Mine was about $120
including shipping.  Drivers for many platforms & manuals are included.
Updated drivers available via ftp.symbios.com for your other platforms.

Hope this helps.