Date:      08 Oct 2002 05:15:22 +0100
From:      Tom Carrick <knyghtmare@knyghtmare.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   portupgrade problem

--=-3rPzs3blRMt+zfR5/ZNe

I was using portupgrade happily upgrading my ports, when it barfed in
the middle of something. I don't remember exactly what, I think it could
have been links or libslang. I don't remember the exact error, only that
it had something to do with memory. So I assumed there just wasn't
enough available. I checked with top, and I still had a good 50MB of RAM
available, and most of my swap space (500MB orso) free.

Fair enough. So I try to continue. It fails on the package upgrade.
Trying to find out what fails, I tried pkgdb -u. Failed. Same error. I
tried deleting portupgrade and installing it again, to no effect.

It invariably, depending on the phase of the moon, I suppose, gives one
of two errors, either:

root@knyghtmare:/root# pkgdb -u
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 325
packages found (-3 +2)
(...)/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.6/pkgdb.rb:435: [BUG] Segmentation
fault
ruby 1.6.7 (2002-09-12) [i386-freebsd4]
Abort (core dumped)

or...

root@knyghtmare:/root# pkgdb -u
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 325
packages found (-3 +2) (...)Cannot allocate memory: Cannot update the
pkgdb!]

I've tried rebooting. Doesn't seem to help, and it was working fine
until it barfed on me.

I've tried deleting links and libslang, too, in case it messed the
database somehow. That's still my best theory, though deleting them
didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas?

--=-3rPzs3blRMt+zfR5/ZNe

--=-3rPzs3blRMt+zfR5/ZNe--