Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 19:04:53 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Tommy Hallgren <md6tommy@mdstud.chalmers.se>
Cc:        "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>, Tommy Hallgren <md6tommy@mdstud.chalmers.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LaTeX

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Tommy Hallgren wrote:

> Jay D. Nelson wrote:
> >
> > Get rid of the link in /usr/local/bin and add the teTeX path to $PATH.
> > (/usr/local/teTeX/bin on my machine.) Make sure there are no links to
> > anything having to do with TeX in /usr/local/bin.
>
> Jay, there is no tex binary at all. And there is no tetex/bin-directory
> neither. For me to get a tex-binary, I have to install the tex-package =
> duplicate installation of some the binaries.
>
> As far as I can tell, there must be something wrong with the
> tetex-package, it's just not complete. :-( But before I say too much, is
> it the binary called "tex" I need, or is virtex or initex something I
> should use instead? I have those two files at least.
>
> Mvh: Tommy - I'm not a TeX-guru.

Some basic TeX:

There's no such thing as a TeX binary. TeX is not a binary but a set of
macros for the TeX virtual machine. virtex *is* the tex virtual machine.
The same goes for LaTeX, mf, SliTeX and all others TeX derivatives. The
*only* binary needed to run those is virtex. initex is used to generate a
binary representation of the macros that make up such a package from the
source. It is used when installing a TeX application. Also man tex,
virtex, initex and friends (when you have them working ;-) ).

For your problem - first pkg_delete all the TeX related packages you
installed, then *manually* remove (or at least rename) anything that
looks to you as having to do with TeX, and then reinstall the package. I
haven't installed teTeX lately (last time I installed the package was on
a 2.1.5R machine) but when I did it was very smooth.

Nadav