Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 15:04:39 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rant: What are we?

On Sat, Mar 28, 1998 at 05:37:22PM -0800, Studded wrote:

> > If anyone had a better idea for how to make this work and sincerely wished
> > to do something constructive in the long term, they should have spoken up
> > and volunteered their own efforts last month, last year, and the year
> > before, when newbies asked for their own space and everyone was too busy
> > hacking to lift a damn finger.
>
> 	Actually I did speak up. Your response was that you wanted a mailing
> list for newbies and that was your only interest, whether it was a good
> idea or not.

Half right. My argument was that Doug didn't understand the list's purpose
because he came in at the tail end and misinterpreted the objectives as well
as the process we had gone through. The others had basically agreed to trial
a list that did not offer support; Doug wanted large scale reform to the
whole FreeBSD support process and saw this list only in terms of the result
of that process, somewhere down the line. True, I didn't give two hoots
whether Doug thought it was a good idea or not. I was only interested in
what the other newbies could do if given the opportunity to try, and said so.

I have written to Doug privately, explaining that I used the term
"moderator" in the sense of keeping things on track. I disagree with most of
what Doug said, but to argue against it here would be a burden to this list,
and I would rather you think badly of me than disrupt the list's progress.
It is, after all, my job to keep things on track.

I have asked Doug to explain to us why he didn't want this list to start,
and why he is still battling against it. If I have misunderstood he deserves
this opportunity to explain.

I have also suggested that if he thinks that a support list for newbies is a
good idea which will not result in social division, then he should go right
ahead and start one, and take on all the responsibilities that would go
along with another support list.

And I asked him to explain why he believes our list could not coexist with
either a support list for newbies or whatever else it is he'd like to see
happen one day.

It is no secret that I wish Doug were not here in determined opposition to
the objectives of this list, just as he made no secret of this intention.
However, if he chooses to reply to these questions I'm sure we'd all like to
know what he has in mind and how he plans to execute it. I'm getting tired
of seeing so many people's work criticised without alternatives being
offered. It's about time we saw more appreciation and some positive action.

If Doug takes a reasonable approach and I get no complaints from the newbies
who this list is for, I will try to keep out of it while he explains.
Please hear him out.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-