Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:53:41 -0600
From:      Samuel Kesterson <skesterson@travelnow.com>
To:        Andrew Tulloch <andrewt@slipstreaminteractive.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq/HP DL380G3 SMP and FreeBSD-STABLE

Thus spake Andrew Tulloch (andrewt@slipstreaminteractive.com) [2003-03-18 13:00] :

> I've got a new compaq DL380G3 with dual 2.8Ghz xeons and 2GB of ram
> installed from a FreeBSD 4.8-RC1 cd and cvsup'd and make world to -stable,
> which all worked fine. However as soon as I SMP support to the kernel and
> reboot the machine dies. It boots and starts services, but after a short
> time of doing anything it dies, I tried doing a make buildkernel and it
> lasted about a minute before it couldn't seem to access the disk, eventually
> the machine seems to lock altogether. The disk in question is a RAID5 array
> of 3x36.4GB SCSI disks connected to a 5302-128 board.
>
> I've searched and found only one reference to FreeBSD and SMP on these
> machines and it mentioned having the OS Selection in the bios set to Linux,
> which I did have.
>
> The only kernel messages I've seen at the time were:
>
> Mar 17 14:25:53 gandalf /kernel: bge0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
>
> Which is the interface currently in use.
>
> Everything seems to work fine with a UP kernel, completed buildworlds
> without any issue.
>
> Has anyone got one of these and has it working?

	Not sure what the difference is between the DL360 and the DL380, but
here's my take anyway.

	I have two DL360s running 4.8-RC2. This is the RC2 from the ISO. I
haven't sup'ed it yet. They both run fine with SMP enabled. Neither of
them have any problems with the bge either.

	Your mention of the interupts made me think of this. It's written for
Linux, but it (probably?) still applies. I have the BIOS set the way
described below. I found this on HP's site somewhere ...

	Tip: Red Hat Linux 8.0 does not recognize a single hyper-threading
enabled processor as an smp capable machine. As a result, the uni-processor
kernel is installed when RBSU is configured as follows:

 OS = Linux
 MPS = Auto
 HT = Enabled

	After Red Hat installation is complete, install the smp kernel RPM
from the Red Hat Linux 8.0 CD #1. After installing the smp kernel, open
the /etc/grub.conf file and find the smp kernel entry. Edit this entry
to make it the default.

HP recommends the following RBSU configuration in this case:

 OS = Linux
 MPS = Full Table Mapped (if shared interrupts are desired) OR

Full Table (if shared interrupts are not desired)

	I forget the technical reason for this. Something about the BIOS and
mapping interrupts (ask google). And I'm not saying that this will fix
your problem. Only that I have 2 DL360s w/2x2.8GHz Zeons and 1G of RAM
running on this setup, happy as you please.

HTH

 Samuel Kesterson
 skesterson@travelnow.com

 DISCLAIMER: All views expressed are mine and mine alone and likely are
             not the views of my employer ... blah, blah, blah ...