Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 13:56:47 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Gustavo Ayala Carrasquero <gayala@zeus.eniac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ifconfig and FreeBSD

<<On Tue, 27 Feb 1996 16:43:32 -0400, Gustavo Ayala Carrasquero <gayala@zeus.eniac.com> said:

>     # ifconfig ed0 inet alias 206.98.182.77 netmask 255.255.255.0
>     ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

This error message means that the address you specified, when masked
with the netmask, is the same as an address already condfigured.  What
you probably want to do is the following:

	ifconfig ed0 inet alias 206.98.182.77 netmask 0xffffffff

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.