Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:58:22 -0400
From:      "Joseph Gleason" <clash@tasam.com>
To:        "Pandurangi Venkatesh-AVP028" <venkatesh.pandurangi@motorola.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help on setting up of NTP as client/server

I have a similar setup.

Here is what you do for simplist possible operations:

Pick one system to be the master.
Figure out how that master server will get its time.  Some options are radio
time devices, GPS devices, or anouther NTP server via the internet.  For the
first two items, I don't know how to do that...I suggest an manual or
something might be useful.

For the NTP server, goto http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.htm
and pick a few servers to get your time from.  You probably want a stratum 2
server, since pulling from a statum 1 server for 3 systems would be rude.

On the master system, create a file /etc/ntp.conf that looks like this:
server some.ntp.server.whatever.edu
server some.other.server

On the other systems, make /etc/ntp.conf with a single line:
server w.x.y.z

w.x.y.z being the ip address of hostname of your master server.

Then on all boxes run ntpd.  This can be done with a line in /etc/rc.conf:
xntpd_enable="YES"

There are many many more options to ntpd, I suggest you read
man ntpd
man ntp.conf
man ntpdate