Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 07:00:59 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        cryhavoc@skyinet.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login

On Fri, Jul 03, 1998 at 12:09:40AM -0700, Thomas Dean wrote:
> You will get more help from the mailing list freebsd-newbies.

He almost certainly will not. Sorry, you have not given me any clue as to
what the original question was, but I assume it was someone asking for help.
Freebsd-questions is *the* place to ask questions. Newbies have always been
welcomed here, but recently some claimed they were turned away after being
directed to -questions. That's not a very good welcome.

Thomas, before guessing where to send people you might like to find out more
about freebsd-newbies by reading the charter in the handbook (I'm sure you
can find that by yourself) and the regular reposting to -newbies found at
http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies (where you will also be referred
to advice to always quote some of the message to which you are responding so
that your email makes sense on its own) and
http://www.freebsd.org/newbies.html which helps newbies find the most
newbie-relevant documentation quickly. All of these documents clearly
distinguish between the roles of -questions and -newbies.

In case it is not crystal clear:

   Freebsd-questions is the one and only place that newbies (and
   others) go to for help. We usually get quality friendly advice
   here for which we are very grateful, so we are polite enough
   to take our general chatter away to our own little space.

   Freebsd-newbies is to meet and welcome other newbies and discuss
   among ourselves the general activities and the experience of
   being a newbie. ==> Support questions are "off-topic" for -newbies.
   The only thing we answer questions on is how to use the mailing
   lists and *where* to find help. If you're having trouble with
   email, feel free to drop in. You don't even need to subscribe.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-